Monday, August 4, 2008

PCLinuxOS to OpenSuse 11.0

I recently decided to give OpenSuse 11.0 a spin on some of the computer terminals at work, replacing PCLinuxOS. It is not that I have any hard feelings towards PCLinuxOS, it is just that I prefer to stay up on the different distros available to make sure I'm not missing out on something. And, honestly, PCLinuxOS has been dragging behind the 'latest/greatest' software curve for a while now, so I wanted to get something that was very up-to-date. OpenSuse 11.0 is definately an 'up-to-date' system. Also, I do prefer the more polished appearance I've found in OpenSuse 11.0. It definately has a sense of high-end professionalism that is needed in a desktop OS. KDE 4.1, found in OpenSuse, is maturing rapidly into a stable and, I must say, exciting desktop environment. Overall, I'd say that I've been very impressed by OpenSuse and will continue to use it on my new pc setups. The only knocks against it is the package manager. The beauty of pclinuxos is that all of the software is found in a single, cohesive repository of software that is 'sure to work' when you want to install it. OpenSuse has so many repositories to add into its package manager, that it can get confusing as to which ones you need to enable, where to find new repositories, where that software is actually coming from and I've hit the annoying dependency issues several times when trying to install or update via the opensuse manager. Plus, I have not found a way to show 'newly added software' in the opensuse manager, nor have I found a way to enable it to build a local repository of updates/packages to use across multiple systems in a small network. Perhaps the package manager for PClinuxOS is the best feature of that distro, because it is easy to use and finding newly added software is a breeze. And being able to search newly added software helps keep you up to date as to what new/exciting packages are available for your linux desktop.
Overall, I'd say that OpenSuse 11.0 edges out PCLinuxOS in terms of being more up-to-date and sheer beauty. But, its package management is a far cry away from PCLinuxOS.

Oh, and one more thing. The biggest reason I tried switching distros was because, regardless of how many times I asked about this particular bug in the pclinuxos forums or in their IRC support channel, vncserver is BROKEN in pclinuxos and there is no way to enable the html interface for vnc under pclinuxos. This was not the case in versions previous to PclinuxOS 2007. The only response I receive from their support people is that the html interface "isn't commonly used and isn't important". However, from a business standpoint, it IS important when our employees need to access their desktops remotely via their webbrowsers but cannot.... yet, OpenSuse can.

No comments: